The 4th of July holiday weekend is here! While the barbeques, cabin weekends, parties, fireworks, and all the festivities may be a little different this year due to COVID-19, you can still make it a fun-filled weekend. But do not let your health and wellbeing fall by the wayside.
There are many ways you can still enjoy your weekend while still making smart choices. Here are four helpful tips to make your Independence Day weekend fun and healthy!
Lots of Water
Spending time outdoors is a staple part of the 4th of July. But when temperatures rise, the potential for dehydration is high.
- Make sure you keep a water bottle with or near you throughout your day.
- Alternate between sodas, sugary drinks, and alcohol with a tall glass of water.
- Freeze a half-full water bottle the night before a party to make sure your water stays ice-cold throughout the day!
Protect your skin (and your good time!) by applying lots of sunscreen! Sunburn hurts, can cause dehydration, and can lead to skin cancer.
- Double-check the expiration date on your sunscreen. If it is expired, it will not protect you!
- Apply frequently throughout the day! Water, sand, clothes, and towels can wipe off the sunscreen, leaving you exposed.
- Have a friend or family member cover hard to reach places like your back or the part of your scalp for maximum coverage!
Healthy choices don’t have to be boring! Freezing your favorite fruits can add flavor and fun to your day, without even noticing you’re making a smart choice.
- Frozen grapes are a sweet and tasty treat!
- Add frozen limes, lemons, or berries to your water for a cool & infused flavor!
Take time out of your weekend to take care of your body! Small activities here and there can make a big difference in how you feel!
- Take an easy swim in the lake to cool off and stretch your body.
- Think about walking to your neighborhood party rather than driving.
- Help carry coolers, food trays, and toys for an added strength workout.
Take advantage of a long weekend by catching up on your sleep! Maintaining healthy sleep patterns is crucial for your health, don’t neglect it over the 4th of July.
- Close your blinds and curtains to avoid being awakened by the flash of fireworks.
- If you can, sleep with a sound machine or earplugs to drown out the noise of the fireworks.